We love to hear from alumni and so do your classmates! Here are the updates on the accomplishments, career moves, family news, fascinations and celebrations of UNC Asheville graduates. This page is updated frequently, so be sure to check back often to see what your fellow alumni are doing. While you're here, why not add your own class note? It might even be featured in the UNC Asheville Magazine!
Carolyn Brown recently started working at the Carter Center with the Democracy Program.
Corey Lea is a meteorologist for KSWO in Lawton, Oklahoma.
- Braethun Bharathae-Lane released a self-titled Album with other Alumni from the Music Tech department under the band name Bendy Cat!
- Adrian Etheridge & Jeremy Gower were married on May 7, 2016.
- Amanda Larsen got married to Joe Pasini on July 9th, 2016.
- Jorja Smith is working as the Marketing Communications Coordinator at Omni Grove Park Inn.
- Leigh Whittaker works for the U.S. House of Representatives as a Staff Assistant and Legislative Correspondent.
- Kelsey Armbruster recently founded her own yoga company.
- Darrell Jack (DJ) Cunningham had a daughter, RayLynn, on September 13, 2016.
- Kristen Lawson is now a tax consultant with Deloitte.
- Emily Munroe is actively working in the Atlanta film industry and is in the work union, IATSE Local 161 as a script supervisor.
- Sarah (Ogles) Cheng married Gok Cheng '05.
- Lauren Gunter and Cody Mink were recently married.
- Samuel Maynard married Katelyn Bradley on April 16th, 2016.
- Marah Laurie and Peter Mencher ’11 were married on Sept. 10, 2016, in Lake Lure, N.C.
- Hanna Trussler and Derek Patton ’12 were married on Aug. 27, 2016.
- Katherine Woodard is working as a 1st grade teacher at a Title I school in Charlotte, NC for the Americorps program Teach for America.
- Kelsey Baired had a baby boy named Reavis Allen Baired.
- Ayden Jones recently accepted a position at UNC Asheville's NC Center for Health and Wellness as a Project Manager for Fall Prevention with the center's Healthy Aging Initiative.
- Mary Tucker got married to Beau Zinman '12 on July 16, 2016.
- Phillip Michael Vaughn married Abigail Walker Williams on September 17, 2016.
- Casey Ward and Lauren Ward had a baby boy, Remington, on July 21, 2016.
- Molly Austin recently graduated with a Master of Arts in Human Services from Lenoir-Rhyne University. 5/13/16
- Evan Foote-Hudson was promoted to Destination Experience Manager at the Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau. 9/13/16
- Cortland Mercer married Stephanie Kelly on the weekend of July 16, 2016.
- Emily Porter-Fyke accepted position as Information Literacy Librarian at Western New England University in Springfield, MA. 9/13/16
- David Pickett is now a member of the North Greenville University track and field coaching staff.
- Jessika Bond and Brandon Bond '12 welcomed baby girl, Hadley, on June 22, 2016.
- Sara Greene and Bryan Greene ’08 had a baby girl, Elizabeth, on Sept. 18, 2016.
- Brian Hunt and wife Kella had a baby boy, Finley, on Aug. 15, 2016.
- Nathan Silsbee and Rachel Hollis were married on Sept. 10, 2016, in Flat Rock, N.C.
- Leah Smith is now a program officer at the Center for Health Care Strategies.
- Nathaniel Speier was promoted to sergeant in the U.S. Army, on April 1, 2016.
- Lauren Turnburke married Brandon Harper on Sept. 24, 2016.
- Ana Baker and her wife Ophelia welcomed a baby girl, Delilah, on May 16, 2016.
- Michelle Barbeau was recently appointed development director of Historic Rural Hill.
- Casey Bernath and Bill Bernath ’08 had a baby girl, Rose, on Aug. 24, 2016.
- Terry Munroe and wife Sarah welcomed a baby girl, Riley, on June 21, 2016.
- Ariel Robinson is Asheville City Schools’ Teacher of the Year for 2016-17.
- Sarah Giavedoni is now a social media and content development assistant at Beverly-Hanks & Associates.
- Carrie Jordan had a baby, Justice, on July 13, 2015.
- Liza Burke married Steve Bates on June 11, 2016.
- Stephen Burnich and Amanda Burnich ’06 had a baby boy, Wells, on July 27, 2016.
- Stacy Clore and Nathan Bauer '07 had a baby girl, Lilah, on November 25, 2016.
- Joshua O’Conner and Lexi Binns-Craven welcomed their son, Oren, on May 3, 2016.
- Katie Rozycki accepted the position as a marketing manager at Graham-Pelton Consulting.
- Jeromy Bullman and wife Amy had a baby girl, Blake, on Aug. 9, 2016.
- Rebecca Cobbledick and Michael Cobbledick had a baby boy, Michael, on Aug. 12, 2016.
- Charles Davis was accepted to the August 2016 Military’s Interservice Physician Assistant Program.
- Sarah Davis and Phil Kudisch had a baby boy, Oliver, on Sept. 11, 2016.
- Briana Hastings and Daniel Hastings ’02 had a baby girl, Adelaide, on April 10, 2016.
- Maribeth Kiser married Marcus Spake on June 21, 2016.
- Greg and Ashley Garrison had a baby girl, Lily, on Aug. 3, 2016.
- Sean Heuser was recently promoted to NC ECOnet manager for the State Climate Office of North Carolina.
- David Jenkins and Kerry Jenkins welcomed a baby boy, Owen, on June 20, 2016.
- Jennifer Lunsford and her husband Ronald had a baby boy, Ryder, on Aug. 1, 2016.
- Heather Smith and husband Ben welcomed a baby girl, Sofia, on June 24.
- Amanda LaRue and John LaRue had a baby girl, Molly, on Oct. 5, 2016.
- John Mitchell and Meredith Mitchell had a baby girl, Catherine, on July 1, 2016.
Aaron Rembert and his wife Angela had a baby boy, Reid, on March 27, 2016.
Susan Smallwood married Tyler Berg on May 15, 2016.
- Jennifer Hill and James Hill had a baby boy, Israel, on July 27, 2016.
- Heather Houser, principal of Union Elementary, was named 2015-16 Lincoln County Schools Principal of the Year.
- William “Skip” Rohde’s “Faces of Afganistan,” a series of 52 drawings, will be a part of the Post-9/11 Veteran Art collection of the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
- Robert Rudder has a new baby, Addison, born on June 6, 2016.
- Emily Bruggeman earned her Ph.D. in neuroscience from Georgia State University.
- William Hirst and Carla Hirst had a baby boy, Liam, on April 16, 2016.
- Marc Baldwin and wife Jennifer welcomed a baby girl, Stella, on June 19, 2016.
- Meredith Newlin and Catherine Guerrero welcomed a baby boy, Oscar Kemp Newlin- Guerrero, on May 12, 2016.
- Lewis Winder got married on June 11, 2016, and moved from Brooklyn, N.Y. to Lexington, K.Y. to attend medical school at the University of Kentucky this fall.
- Marquis McGee was the recipient of the inaugural multicultural alumni award from UNC Asheville.
- Christopher Brooker, partner in the Louisville of ce of Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, has been selected for the 2016 edition of the first-ever “Under 40 Hot List” of Benchmark Litigation.
- Dana Wilson married Jim Harris on April 4, 2016.
- Dr. Adam Bradley was promoted to principal engineer at Amazon.com.
- Dr. Pamela Meliski and Jay Meliski had a baby girl, Addison, on Aug. 12, 2016.
- Deborah Hart-Serafini recently got certified in permaculture design and primal health coaching. Deb and her husband Frank are developing a four-acre food forest in Sapphire, N.C.
- Joshua Tan and wife Thanh had a baby girl, Salem, on Aug. 4, 2016.
- Tracy Wilson married Patrick Clapp in April 2016, and is now host of the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast and editorial advisor at HowStuffWorks.com.
- Karen Bell married Patrick Bell on Nov. 19, 2016. Also, on October 1, 2016 became an elections administration project consultant for FairVote and the development of RankedChoiceVoting.Org.
- Lt. Darrell Keller, Jr. recently became an 11th grade AP and Honors History Teacher at Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy.
- Shawn Gallaher received his Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography from the Naval Postgraduate School on September 23, 2016. He is now teaching at the Naval Academy
- Dr. Lee Pearson has been named associate dean for operations and accreditation at the University of South Carolina's Arnold School of Public Health.
- Rená Johnson and her husband Richard recently opened a new business, KoleKole Ice, featuring snow cones and funnel cakes.
- Marcus Kindley served as an Alternate Elector for the North Carolina Electoral College, casting votes for President of the United States on December 19, 2016 in the Old State House in Raleigh. There are only two alternates for North Carolina. He was also recently elected Vice President of the NC Federation of Republican Men.
- Terry Roberts will receive the 2016 Thomas Wolfe Memorial Literary Award for his novel, "That Bright Land."
- Roy Shipman retired after a 40+ year career in law enforcement and related activities. He most recently served 14 years as a Senior Field Investigator in North Carolina, conducting National Security Background Investigations including individuals being cleared for assignment to The White House. He also has authored three books covering the history of High Point, NC, served as the Chairman of the 125th Anniversary Celebration for the City of High Point, chaired the Historic Preservation Commission, and served for seven years on the local Board of Education.
No Class Notes
Jeffrey Hutson, class of 1992, passed away on December 7, 2016. 12/14/16
Robert Pratt, class of 1996, passed away on October 27, 2016. 12/01/16
Anne Tremblay, class of 1987, passed away on November 13, 2016. 11/17/16
Betty Runnion, class of 1950, passed away October 5, 2016. 10/13/16
James Spratt, class of 1978, passed away on September 24, 2016. 10/6/16
Virginia Aberle, class of 2010, passed away August 3rd, 2016. 9/6/16
Edith Bryan, class of 1945, passed away March 25th, 2016. 4/19/16
Michael Calto, class of 1992, passed away April 22nd, 2016. 5/13/16
Mildred Carswell, class of 1944, passed away August 22, 2016. 9/1/16
Orville Coward, former Board of Govenors, passed away July 7th, 2016. 7/14/16
John Dakoski, III, class of 2000, passed away June 20, 2016. 6/24/16
Heath Dobson, former student, passed away March 24th, 2016. 4/19/16
Grace Eaton, class of 2006, passed away on July 5th, 2016. 7/13/16
Melanie Fore, class of 1995, passed away on January 30, 2016. 2/3/16
Jessic Grubb, former student, passed away on March2, 2016. 5/10/16
Chris Hall, class of 1992, passed away June 12, 2016. 6/24/16
Dorothy Jackson, class of 1946, passed away April 10th, 2016. 4/21/16
Donald Jones, class of 1953, passed away July 6th, 2016. 7/14/16
Katie Kay, retired staff, passed away May 5th, 2016. 7/12/16
David Clayton "Clay" Lawson, Jr., class of 1993, passed away on February 20th, 2016. 5/31/16
Gawain Mainwaring, class of 1993, passed away on February 1, 2016. 2/8/16
Robert Maney, class of 1949, passed away on January 2, 2016. 1/15/16
Martha McNair, former student, passed away on April 12, 2016. 5/10/16
Joseph Arthur Patelidas, class of 1952, passed away on October 28, 2015. 11/12/15
Bettie Pritchard, class of 1967, passed away on October 7, 2015. 11/3/15
Betty Runnion, class of 1950, passed away October 5, 2016. 10/13/16
Christopher Staton Jr., class of 1976, passed away on February 17, 2015. 2/27/15
Larry R. Sluder, class of 1969, passed away on July 20th, 2015. 7/30/15
Rev. Max Wilson Smith, class of 1974, passed away on November 18th, 2015. 12/3/15
Cynthia Tellup, class of 1984, passed away on March 9, 2016. 5/10/16
Harry Tolley, class of 1956, passed away on May 9th, 2016. 7/12/16